Thursday 23 July 2009

Look who preys on porky lecturers



Our art department is housed in a 1970s block which was probably very fashionable, but is now a rotting heap of concrete. However, kestrels like to breed in the deep shelves between its exoskeleton and skin. I don't go past that block very often, but Dan and I wandered along the ring road today and heard the cry of the kestrel, and took a closer look. (Normally in Wolverhampton, Kestrel denotes an extra-strong lager favoured by those who prefer to quaff al fresco).

So anyway, I tried out my new zoom lens on these birds today. There are three fledglings, and their parents must have been off hunting. I took these photos from my building, about 250 feet away, through windows on each stairwell. The light wasn't brilliant, but it's not a bad first go.

1 comment:

Dan said...

I think they've been breeding there for a number of years, or so I recall being told by someone. I couldn't quite tell for sure from the photos, but it looks like a nest tray has been put in there for them.