Wednesday 10 June 2009

Mmmmmarmite

Morning blogfans! I'm in meetings again today, but at least there are sandwiches provided. I'll do anything, frankly, for a free buffet. Quality isn't even important.

My shopping trip was less than successful. Determined to dress as a thrusting young blade, I ended up buying black DMs in a softer leather, and the plainest (though most expensive) black trousers I could find. The problem was that everything else I looked at made me look like an idiot out on a permanent stag weekend. Part of the problem, of course, is that despite doing a lot of swimming, I still have the corporeal equivalent of suburbs. I believe my navel has a separate postcode.

So I ended up with DMs and some rather nice Ted Baker trousers - I know nothing about labels, and unpicked any identifying marks.

The greatest bit of the evening was going to Malaysian Delight down by Chinatown. I eschewed the Coca-Cola wings, but opted for the Marmite Chicken main course. It was amazing. If the BNP take over, we'll never be able to eat this kind of fusion cooking. It was massive chunks of crispy chicken marinaded in sesame seeds and Marmite, served with wonderful rice and veg. I sat there for hours, reading Giles Foden's Turbulence and savouring the meaty, tangy goodness. I must ask them how they do it.

5 comments:

Newton Heath 18 said...

Malayaisn Delight - if I'd known I would have met you - their Laksa is amazing.

The Plashing Vole said...

It was a random, late decision - and a good one. Will try the Laksa next. The place looks like a rough café but the food is brilliant.

neal said...

Genius. Next time I'm in Brum I'm definately going to check out how that flavour combination works.

Benjamin Judge said...

Don't underestimate Coca-cola as an ingredient. It's high sugar content make it a useful glaze for meats.

The Plashing Vole said...

That would explain it.