Tuesday 7 April 2009

Thanks, readers

Interesting suggestions (keep them coming). I'd forgotten about The Master and the Margarita but agree - it's stunning. I'd also forgotten to list Jane Austen, whose works I go back to several times a year. I'm not so keen on On The Road, though I used to be many years ago. There's just something so self-involved about hippies and proto-hippies. The same goes for Coelho and that whole band of self-styled spiritual gits. They're a result of the 1960s radicals failing to get anywhere. Faced with political defeat, they decided to look inside themselves rather than take the serious choices required to save the world. They couldn't accept the external authority of organised religion, so they made up a load of old cobblers - from Scientology to self-help - and made pots of dosh on the way. I hate it. The only books I'd happily burn are those under 'Mind, Body, Spirit'. Savonarola was right.

Let's be clear, the only rules you need for a happier life in the West are:
1. Eat less.
2. Walk more.
3. Try to be more kind to people. Even students. Not Tories - they deserve a spade through the face.
4. Buy fewer things.
5. Read more.

Did anyone watch Stuart Lee's Comedy Vehicle last night? The man is a genius because he's intelligent, has a sense of the absurd, and is right about the gaping cultural void in our lives which we seem only to be able to fill through the purchase of pointless, empty objets. We've exchanged our messy, tasteless, jumbly, interesting lives for houses, clothes and activities designed to make ourselves indistinguishable from the 'lifestyles' of show-homes and the fake nuclear families featured in adverts. Resist! Swap your plasma TV for a ferret, or a book, or a train-set - whatever makes you happy in your own odd way - and stop worrying about what other people think of your lifestyle.

(Easy for me to say, of course - I'm used to the condescension or pity evinced by students, friends, family when my 'career' comes up).

9 comments:

Dan said...

"Tories - they deserve a spade in the face."

This brings to mind the Morrissey song 'Margaret On A Guillotine.'

I hate Thatcher (State funeral...pah) however I do like Stewart Lee. Didn't he co-write Time Gentlemen Please with Richard Herring?

From Blue To Green said...

more kind? shouldn't that be 'kinder'? tut tut!

The Plashing Vole said...

Mo: I don't actually know - I've always thought it's one of those where either choice is OK, and I prefer an intensifier to -er.

The Plashing Vole said...

Merciless Public: watch this space for the Thatcher Death album (hopefully coming soon).

Lee was indeed half of Lee and Herring. Very funny they were too.

Lauren said...

4 and 5 I find made me chuckle. You say buy fewer things and read more, in your case it appears you are always buying books to errm read I presume!?

Benjamin Judge said...

That is possibly the truest and most sensible thing anyone has ever said on this blog.

The Plashing Vole said...

True - I'm clearly inconsistent on this one. There are libraries though - and my book buying is essential for what I laughingly call 'work'.

Dean Moriarty said...

And your 10,000 discs of vinyl? (One for each maniac?) Presumably those objets are in every way superior to my massive television?

The Plashing Vole said...

More vinyl than that! I'm not proud, or perfect. If only I had the strength to divest myself of all that lo-fi.