Thursday 2 April 2009

Join the sisterhood

My dear sister Maura has sent me this article which claims that having a sister leads to better mental health, increased motivation, more friends and a richer social life. I have four sisters and a brother, yet the voices in my head are telling me not believe it.

All I ever wanted as a child was peace and quiet to read books. Come to think of it, that's all I want now. What's your experience? Certainly my sisters were often at war and some still have complicated relationships with each other.

I can't recall the verbatim quote, and I'm not at home, but Jessica Mitford was asked if having sisters helped with life's obstacles. Her reply was 'But sisters are life's obstacles', or something very similar.

3 comments:

From Blue To Green said...

careful, you are treading on julie myerson territory! maura x

The Plashing Vole said...

Yuck! What was the Durrell book - My Family and Other Animals?

Benjamin. said...

I once placed my year old little sister in the tumble drier.. Thankfully it wasn't the washing machine.