Wednesday 18 March 2009

Welcome, lost leader


Cynical Ben has honoured us with his presence in Wolverhampton, and seems to believe that it's not the most vibrant, beautiful city on earth. Is he right? Perhaps - though it's a bit cheeky for a man from Cheslyn Hay.

We celebrated his apotheosis with cheese, moules mariniére and fine wine, as though we were sophisticated, suave young gentlemen, instead of a bunch of assorted wastrels doing little other than waiting for death - and where better to embrace our common mortality than Whitmore Reans, where a violent demise edges closer the longer we stay? When I arrived in this benighted burg almost 10 years ago, I knew only that my cell was located there. Imagine my joy at the railway station when I picked up the local Depress and Scar (also known as the Express and Swastika for its 'robust' views) and saw the screaming headline 'Crack and Guns Haul in Whitmore Reans'. I can't find that story online, but here's some more lazy journalism about the area.

Does anybody fancy a meeting of Wolverhampton bloggers? Cynical Ben went to one for Mancunians and had a great time - though they were very sophisticated types from all accounts.



2 comments:

Lauren said...

A meeting of bloggers (or lack of) from Whitmore Reans would be even funnier!!
Its a bit of a shithole to be fair. It seems as a student, the only housing available is in whitmore reans. I live here myself and I am quite proud of the fact I haven't been stabbed yet....touch wood!
...Cynical Ben is right in his opinion, although I don't know where Cheslyn Hay is - it sounds rather exotic compared to Wolves. It is so depressing stepping off the train back in Wolverhampton having just been somewhere else that is 1000 times better.

The Plashing Vole said...

Cheslyn Hay is less than glamorous: it's a commuter village between Wolves and Walsall.

I try to leave Wolves most weekends, and always experience a wave of depression as the train pulls in at the end of my parole.